Reduce the burden of over-sized breasts.
Breast reduction (reduction mammoplasty) surgery is a physically and emotionally transformative procedure that reduces the size and weight of large, heavy breasts. By removing excess tissue, fat, and sagging skin, our skilled and experienced surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester can relieve you of the discomfort caused by overly heavy breasts; and create an aesthetically pleasing, symmetrical, and well-proportioned breast size, contour, and shape, to suit your body frame and preferences.
What to Expect
Breast Reduction Pre-operative:
- Book Your Complimentary Consultation: Your complimentary, in-office consultation with the surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester will provide you with the opportunity to ask questions, discuss expectations, and feel reassured throughout your surgery journey — before the procedure, and throughout recovery.
- Choose the Right Breast Reduction Surgeon for You: Choosing an experienced, board-certified surgeon for your breast reduction surgery is paramount. You can feel confident that the surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester will be able to relieve you of the physical discomforts caused by large breasts – upper back, neck and shoulder pain; rashes; and marks from an ill-fitting bra – while creating a beautiful, natural breast shape, tailored for your frame and aesthetic goals.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Removing excess tissue from the breasts can reveal a beautifully proportioned figure. If you are overweight, we encourage you to bring your body composition within healthy parameters for you. You should be at weight-maintenance in advance of surgery, as your body shape will influence sizing and technique decisions that will give you the best, lasting results.
- Complete Necessary Preoperative Lab Tests: Preoperative testing will ensure you are medically-optimized prior to undergoing a breast reduction. Testing may include a baseline mammogram, routine blood test, chest x-ray, electrocardiogram (ECG), and a physical examination by your Primary Care Physician. Our surgical staff will tailor test orders to suit your personal health history.
- Adjust your Medication and Supplements Regimes: Prior to your surgery date, your surgeon will ask that you adjust your current medications and/or supplements regime to optimize healing. Anti-inflammatory medications and blood thinners must be discontinued. Certain vitamins, herbal supplements and teas can also increase the risk of bleeding and bruising. The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester will review your current diet and supplements regime, and provide you with detailed pre-operative instructions.
- Stop Smoking: Smoking increases the risk of complications from anesthesia, surgery, wound healing, and recovery. We encourage you to stop smoking and the use of nicotine (patches, gum) in advance of considering surgery.
- Plan Ahead: Making necessary post-operative arrangements before your surgery date will allow you to relax and heal optimally in the days and weeks following the procedure. The surgeons and well-trained staff at Plastic Surgery of Westchester will help you to prepare.
Breast Reduction Post-operative:
- Recover at Home: In most cases, a breast reduction is an outpatient procedure that allows you to return to your home the same day. You will need a friend or relative to drive you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours following surgery.
- Manage Post-Surgery Pain: Most of our clients find immediate satisfaction and a new sense of pride and freedom after a breast reduction. It is perfectly normal to experience slight discomfort and swelling in the days following your surgery. You should not experience severe pain. We will discuss pain medications that will keep you comfortable during recovery.
- Follow-up Care: You will wear bandages and/or a supportive sports bra, designed to accelerate healing and optimize results. If your breast reduction surgery requires drains, we will take these out once drainage subsides. Each case is different, and your surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester will share details of the best course of recovery for you during your pre-op planning.
- Refrain from Lifting, Pushing, and Pulling: We will ask you to refrain from lifting anything heavy, including small children and groceries. Any strenuous or jarring movement that engages your upper body can interfere with the healing process.
- Plan to be Out of the Office and Gym: You should prepare to stay home from work for one week, and longer if your job is physically demanding. Strenuous exercise in the immediate post-operative period will put unnecessary stress on your body and can compromise the healing process as well as your result. Typically, more vigorous activity can be resumed around 6 to 8 weeks post-operatively.
- Personalize Your Scar- and Skin-Care: The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester are well-versed in optimizing the appearance of your scars and will discuss a personalized skin and scar care regimen that will keep your results looking fabulous.
Breast Reduction FAQ’s
What is the best technique for breast reduction? Where will the incisions be placed?
Our surgeons are skilled in a number of breast reduction techniques including vertical or “lollipop” breast reduction and inverted-T or “anchor” breast reduction. At your consultation, your surgeon will determine the best option for you, after considering your breast anatomy, the type and amount of tissue to be removed, and your desired outcome.
Is breast reduction surgery permanent?
You can expect to enjoy lighter breasts for a lifetime, so long as you maintain a stable weight. Future pregnancies are likely to change the shape, size, and appearance of your breasts. We will discuss recovery recommendations, including spa procedures and personalized skin care that will prolong your results.
Does Breast Reduction Surgery Cause Loss of Nipple Sensation or Function?
For most clients, reduction in nipple-areolar sensation and function is temporary. However, if you have very large, ptotic breasts, it is possible that loss of sensation and / or function may be an expected, permanent outcome.
Is it possible to breastfeed after breast reduction surgery?
The majority of women who were able to breast feed prior to breast reduction surgery are able to do so after. There are many factors that influence whether breast feeding will be a possibility following a breast reduction surgery, including the surgical technique, amount of tissue removed, and time of surgery relative to pregnancy. Our surgeons are here to guide and support your decision process and ensure you are fully apprised as to expectations.
When can I return to exercise after a breast reduction?
After a week, short and gentle walks can help the healing process. Your surgeon will give you the green-light to resume weight-lifting, contact sports, and strenuous exercise within one to three months of surgery. Although your desire to get back your active routine may seem urgent, allowing your body to heal fully, and in due time, is essential to healthy, beautiful results.
Who is a good candidate for breast reduction surgery?
Overly large breasts can lead to a number of undesirable health symptoms, including back, neck, and shoulder pain, poor posture, sleeping issues, and rashes or skin conditions. In addition to physical challenges, overly large breasts often pose an emotional burden, causing overwhelming feelings of self-consciousness. If you struggle with the size of your breasts, we are here to help guide your decision toward the right breast surgery for your individual needs and desired results.
How much does a breast reduction surgery cost? Will insurance cover it?
Due to the highly personalized nature of our approach, breast reduction prices vary with the presentation. In some cases, reconstructive breast reduction surgery may be covered by your health insurance company. A consultation with our surgeons will give you a precise understanding of your investment, the associated costs, and payment plan options such as Care Credit.
How long is the surgery?
Your breast reduction surgery, unless otherwise indicated by your surgery team, will be a scheduled two-hour procedure. You will be cleared to return to the comfort of your own home as soon as you have recovered from anesthesia in our luxurious post-operative surgery suite.
Where is the surgery performed?
Your surgery will be performed in our AAAASF-accredited, ambulatory surgery facility in Harrison, New York – an easy commute to both Manhattan and the suburbs. Our spa-like recovery suite will allow you to recover in comfort. For those who qualify for insurance coverage, this surgery is performed in one of the area hospitals with which our surgeons are affiliated.
How long is the recovery period?
Our goal at Plastic Surgery of Westchester is to optimize your pre- and post-operative environment, to accelerate and optimize recovery from breast reduction surgery. The sooner you can get back to your routine, in your new body, the better! That said, your recovery journey, and the amount of time you need to heal from surgery, will depend on your unique hormonal, metabolic, genetic makeup and lifestyle, as well as the extent of surgery performed. You will be able to walk around the day and evening of surgery; however, you should plan to rest, at home, and with adult company, for at least 24 hours following the procedure. Most clients feel ready to return to a desk job, shower, and resume light walking after a week of rest. Your prescription pain medication plan will bear influence on our recommendations for you.
How long is the recovery period?
When will I notice results?
Breast reduction surgery is one of the most rewarding procedures, due to its physical and emotional significance. Our clients report an immediate sense of confidence, pride, and freedom post-surgery. Aesthetically, some swelling and bruising post-surgery is normal, and should be considered a healthy sign of healing; it is normal to consider your new breasts larger than anticipated. The swelling will subside at a different rate for each individual. Within 8-12 weeks, your final results will be bra-haul ready! Some clients report changes up to a year post-op. We are here to support you along your recovery journey.
What are some potential complications?
A breast reduction surgery is a serious, yet safe procedure when performed by a skilled and accredited surgeon on a healthy candidate. Our Plastic Surgery of Westchester clinicians will ensure that you are medically-optimized for your breast reduction to mitigate the risks of complications.
What makes breast reduction surgery at Plastic Surgery of Westchester special?
The highly personalized, concierge nature of our approach is what differentiates Plastic Surgery of Westchester. We believe that your breast reduction is not limited to the surgery itself, but a journey that begins the moment you consider the procedure, and throughout recovery. If you are more comfortable seeking care with a woman, our female plastic surgeon Dr. Nicole Nemeth has years of experience in this profoundly rewarding procedure. Our surgeons look forward to meeting you, understanding your needs and preferences, and partnering with you on your special journey to the best you.
Facilities & Hospital Affiliations
Our surgeons have hospital privileges at Montefiore Medical Center, Jacobi Medical Center, Westchester Medical Center, Montefiore New Rochelle and Lawrence Hospital. They also perform procedures in their fully accredited operating room in Harrison, NY. Our state of the art facility is professionally designed and decorated for your comfort. We are always interested to know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience. We appreciate your suggestions and pledge to work as a team to make your time here a rewarding experience.
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Jacobi Medical Center
- Westchester Medical Center
- Montefiore New Rochelle
- New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
- White Plains Hospital
Accreditation and Associations
We maintain an AAAASF accredited surgical suite, equipped like a hospital operating room with the privacy and ease of an office setting, offering full general anesthesia for more complex procedures as well as sedation and local anesthesia for other procedures. We enjoy a strong relationship with some of the finest hospitals in the area, offering overnight and extended post-operative stays if medically advisable. This is ideal for our out of town patients, those with little post-operative help, or those desiring a more private recovery. We can also arrange your stay at a variety of hotels within minutes of our facility and arrange an overnight “sitter” if desired.
Schedule your Breast Reduction Consultation
Please contact us with any questions or if you would like to setup a time for a one-on-one consultation with one of our surgeons.