Reduce signs of aging for a more youthful appearance.
*Facelift, or “rhytidectomy,” is a procedure to remove, reshape and reposition aging skin of the face and neck. There are multiple variations to this surgery and the type of facelift will be individualized during your consultation with one of our doctors. Incisions are generally placed around the ear and into the scalp. This procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia and is commonly combined with other rejuvenation procedures.
Downtime is contingent on extent of your surgery and comfort level. Our staff is knowledgeable and will educate you on proper post-operative wound and skin care. Our goal is to provide our patients with a long-lasting, natural and youthful result without the over-tightened look.
What to Expect
- A facelift is an exciting surgical transformation for your face! The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester are going to ensure that you are medically-optimized prior to undergoing this procedure.
- Please give your surgeons a list of your medications and insight into any pre-existing medical conditions (don’t forget about a history of heart or lung problems, autoimmune diseases, wound healing problems, blood clots, or bleeding disorders).
- Vitamins and anti-inflammatory medications (such as aspirin, Motrin, Advil, and Aleve, etc.) should be discontinued no less than 1 week prior to surgery.
- In patients with high blood pressure (hypertension), your medical doctor will need to optimize your medication regiment prior to surgery.
- Smoking is a contra-indication to a facelift. We hope that you don’t smoke! Please refrain from any nicotine or tobacco use (including patches, gum and vapor cigarettes) for no less than 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after your surgery. Remember, any history of smoking can increase your risk for certain complications, such as wound healing problems and infection.
- As with any surgical procedure there is a period of necessary healing and recovery. The time for healing varies among patients, but the average patient benefits from 10-14 days of dedicated recovery and another six weeks of wound care and refraining from strenuous activity or heavy lifting.
- When you are better healed, your surgeon will discuss scar care techniques to keep your results looking fabulous!
- As always, please bring a list of your questions and concerns to your pre-operative visits. It is important to understand the expectation for recovery based on your individual plan.
Facelift Before & After
Where will the incisions be placed?
After the healing takes place, scars are rarely visible. The incisions are commonly in front of the ear (hidden in the natural crease), behind the ear and into the hairline.
How long is the surgery?
Most primary facelifts procedures take approximately 4 hours. You will need about 2 hours to recover before being discharged the very same day.
Where is the surgery performed?
The surgery can be performed in our AAAASF-accredited, Harrison location ambulatory surgery facility.
How long is the recovery period?
You will feel sore for up to 5-7 days and may need pain medication during this time. Most people are able to return to work after approximately 2 weeks. Complete healing can take 6 to 8 weeks. Your surgeon will discuss the care of your scars during your post-operative follow-ups.
What are some potential complications?
As with any surgical procedure, there are potential complications. Most common complications include post-operative bleeding or fluid collection, pain, adverse scarring, change of sensation, problems with wound healing, asymmetry, skin breakdown and need for future surgeries to maintain your result.
Facilities & Hospital Affiliations
Our surgeons have hospital privileges at Montefiore Medical Center, Jacobi Medical Center, Westchester Medical Center, Montefiore New Rochelle and New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital. They also perform procedures in their fully accredited operating room in Harrison, NY.
Our state of the art facility is professionally designed and decorated for your comfort. We are always interested to know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience. We appreciate your suggestions and pledge to work as a team to make your time here a rewarding experience.
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Jacobi Medical Center
- Westchester Medical Center
- Montefiore New Rochelle
- New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Accreditation and Associations
We maintain an AAAASF accredited surgical suite, equipped like a hospital operating room with the privacy and ease of an office setting, offering full general anesthesia for more complex procedures as well as sedation and local anesthesia for other procedures. We enjoy a strong relationship with some of the finest hospitals in the area, offering overnight and extended post-operative stays if medically advisable. This is ideal for our out of town patients, those with little post-operative help, or those desiring a more private recovery. We can also arrange your stay at a variety of hotels within minutes of our facility and arrange an overnight “sitter” if desired.
Schedule your Facelift Surgery Consultation
Please contact us with any questions or if you would like to setup a time for a one-on-one consultation with one of our surgeons.